Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 2010 22:23:44 +0200
From:      Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Paul B Mahol <onemda@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Clang now builds world and kernel, on i386 and amd64

On 2010-09-25 21:16, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> On 9/22/10, Dimitry Andric<dim@freebsd.org>  wrote:
>> As of r212979, you should now be able to build world and kernel on i386
>> and amd64 with clang, without any additional patches!
> When to expect to get rid of GNU as and other binutils tools?

Work is progressing steadily on the clang/llvm integrated assembler,
which removes the need for an external assembler such as gas, and which
should also reduce compile times further.  This is really in alpha state
right now, but Roman Divacky (who is one of the active contributors) can
probably tell more about its progress.

Another important component is of course the linker, but I am not aware
of a similar project to replace that; excepting gold, but that is a
GPLv3 project too, unfortunately.

There is also an LLDB Debugger project in the very early stages of
development, see http://lldb.llvm.org/, but this works only on Mac OS X
now.  Volunteers are invited to port this to FreeBSD. :)

Not binutils related, but still possibly interesting to FreeBSD, are
also the libc++ and compiler-rt projects, a GNU libstdc++ replacement
and a GNU libgcc replacement, respectively.  See http://libcxx.llvm.org/
and http://compiler-rt.llvm.org/ for more information.