Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2013 20:55:43 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Andre Goree <andre@drenet.info>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two batteries recognized

On Wed, 3 Apr 2013 02:12:15 -0400, Andre Goree wrote:
 > For some reason, acpi is recognizing two batteries, though my system has only
 > one.  I've searched Google but haven't really found a way to rectify this.
 > Any ideas?  Here's some information that may help, let me know if there's
 > other things I can provide:
 >
 > [root@dlaptop ~]# sysctl -a | grep battery
 > hw.acpi.battery.life: 81
 > hw.acpi.battery.time: -1
 > hw.acpi.battery.state: 2
 > hw.acpi.battery.units: 2
 > hw.acpi.battery.info_expire: 5
 > dev.battery.0.%desc: ACPI Control Method Battery
 > dev.battery.0.%driver: battery
 > dev.battery.0.%location: handle=\_SB_.BAT0
 > dev.battery.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=PNP0C0A _UID=1
 > dev.battery.0.%parent: acpi0
 > dev.battery.1.%desc: ACPI Control Method Battery
 > dev.battery.1.%driver: battery
 > dev.battery.1.%location: handle=\_SB_.BAT1
 > dev.battery.1.%pnpinfo: _HID=PNP0C0A _UID=2
 > dev.battery.1.%parent: acpi0

You don't say what make/model laptop, though your acpiconf suggests some
sort of Dell.  Many laptops have the capacity to add a second battery,
sometimes instead of a CD/DVD or extra hard drive in a bay.  The above
output doesn't indicate that there are two fitted, just the capacity for
managing two in the ACPI/BIOS.

'bat0' and 'bat1' used below are not valid battery descriptors, specify
only '0' or '1'.  Yes, acpiconf(8) should be a lot clearer about that.

Specifying any invalid string always gets you info for battery 0, ie is
equivalent to 'acpiconf -i0', which is why the results below are both
the same down to the serial numbers and present charge rate and voltage.

If 'acpiconf -i 1' shows other than 'Device not configured' you might
indeed have some issue.

cheers, Ian