Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 00:22:33 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        lehey.pad@sni.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        pol@leissner.se, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Public NTP-servers?

Greg Lehey stands accused of saying:

> Various standards bodies round the world broadcast an accurate time
> signal, backed up by an atomic clock with sub-microsecond accuracy.
> The German one is called DCF-77, is located in Frankfurt am Main, and
> can be received up to 1000 km away.  I don't know if that includes
> your location, but it's likely that some other source would be
> available in Sweden.  Have a look at http://www.igel.de/eiclock.htm
> for further details, but don't look at the prices.  BTW, the $ price
> is significantly higher than the DM price mentioned in the German
> version of the page (http://www.igel.de/diclock.htm)

Not to detract from Greg's suggestion (US$70 is a keen price 8), but
another alternative is a low-cost GPS receiver.  (If you're
synching a large network, that is 8)

We're using a custom wrapper around a Rockwell Microtracker LP
module, which you would normally listen to in NMEA mode.  The module
and an active antenna is costing us around AUS$600, which is pretty
good for +/- 10msec.  (We want GPS for site coordinates to calculate
true dawn/dusk and because that's what everybody else uses...)

A good GPS supplier should be able to sell you a mothercard for this
module that adds power supply and RS-232 functions.  AFAIK, xntpd
is happy listening to NMEA - I'm just pissed that the guy laying out
our clock forgot the '232 interface I asked for 8(

> Offhand, at the office, I only found Igel.  I'll check later when I get home.

If you have more information or pointers on these receivers, Greg, I'd
be _very_ keen to hear about them.