Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 21:30:38 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FWIW: More questionable softupdates+vinum benchmarks

At 12:49 PM -0800 2000/2/17, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

>  Depending on how temporary your temporary files are, it'd be
>  interesting to see if the 4.0 optimizations benifit your benchmark
>  and also remain stable.

	Yup, that would be an interesting question.

>  Would it be possible for you to grab a 4.0RC and let us know?

	Unfortunately, I don't think I can run 4.0RC on this machine
right now.  The guys from the vendor that we're leasing the drive
array from are coming over on Thursday to set it up, and I need this
machine to be rock solid and have lots of benchmarking done to it, so
that I can throw the same benchmarks at the drive array once it's set
up, and then be able to compare the two.

	Once they're gone, I can consider throwing 4.0RC on a spare disk
I happen to have lying around and plug that into this machine, and
see if that makes any difference.  I'll almost certainly run -STABLE
in production, but I should be able to run some tests with -CURRENT.

	I'm glad I decided to hang onto that disk....

	Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Greg Lehey's "rawio" is
dependant on -CURRENT, or if there is some magic incantation required
to get it to run under -STABLE?

	I've run previous benchmarks with it, and I'd like my current
ones to be directly comparable to the previous data, by having the
same benchmark program, essentially the same hardware, slightly
updated OS (3.4-STABLE versus 3.2-RELEASE), etc....

--
   These are my opinions and should not be taken as official Skynet policy
|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                 Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|