Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 02:28:05 +0200
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        adriaanr@abraxas365.com
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MMap for SBLive, 4.3-stable

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 10:03:45PM +0200, Adriaan Rossouw wrote:
> I was curious as to wether 4.3-stable contained the mmap calls for the sb
> live cards, since i am trying to get quake3 running , with sound.

I played the Quake3 demo in 4.1 and 4.2 using the pcm driver. With my
SB128 I had a sound lag of a second or so, but with my SB16ViBRA-X it was
perfectly OK...  until I cvsupped to 4.3-Stable, then the sound was gone in
Quake3, demo version as well as the full version. Unreal Tournament still has
sound though. I worked around by installing the OSS evaluation driver
(from www.opensound.com) which works OK, except that it can crash your
machine (happened one time until now during loading). I suspect the breakage
in pcm has to do with the 'mega commit' for the sb16 driver during 4.2-Stable.
When I have time, I'll try it out.

> If it is not at all possible for the sb live to have sound in quake3 , how
> would one go about setting up dual soundcards (i have a old yamaha
> xg-something)
> lying about.

Compile support for it in your kernel (or load the module) and make a second
snd device, i.e. snd0 and snd1. I had the SB128 and the ViBRA for a long time
together in my machine and it worked OK. But remember that you cannot have
both Voxware and pcm at the same time.

> I also seem to be having the exact same problem with quake-gl (from the
> quakeforge port)

Didn't try that one...

> I have tracked down several posts on this list, and newsgroups, but they
> are rather dated and am not sure how accurate they still are (a vast majority
> were for freebsd 3.x and quake1/2).
>
> I also ran across a post by luigi which said that the mmap calls weren't in
> 3.x , but he was unsure of 4.x/5.x , but this is also sadly dated.

In 4.1/4.2 they apparently worked for me with the sb16, but at the moment
they don't in Quake3 :-(. And I don't know about the sb live, sorry...

Karel.