Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 02:30:14 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems creating 4.4-alpha test/release cdrom

Mike Smith wrote:
>  - the filename is NULL (not possible, since it's printed in the
>    diagnostic)
>  - the file is too small
>  - the file header fails IS_ELF()
>  - the file header fails sanity checks
>  - the file is not a kernel or a KLD
>
> Most of this looks like either a cd9660 filesystem bug (quite likely) or
> a burn error (less likely but not impossible).
>
> I'd consider starting by seeing what "ls -l" in the loader says about the
> size of the file.

Isn't this the kernel he was booting fine, on the non-CDROM
version of his system?

I've had similar issues with the /boot/kernel/* stuff from
an early 5.x snapshot, when reverting the system back to a
4.3 based release, when the boot blocks were not replaced
on my hard disk after the upgrade because I didn't boot the
CDROM to do the upgrade (yes, I know I'm describing a 5.x
to 4.x version change as an "upgrade" here: that's the menu
item in sysinstall to make the change).

I think this is also the code that worked fine in the 4.x
case on previous CDROM images for the Alpha... doesn't it
seem more likely that he's just running stale code?

> > I also think you might want to add rock-ridge to the
> > ISOFS image.
>
> Stop thinking, Terry.  The loader's cd9660 filesystem:
>
> /*
>  * Stand-alone ISO9660 file reading package.
>  *
>  * Note: This doesn't support Rock Ridge extensions, extended attributes,
>  * blocksizes other than 2048 bytes, multi-extent files, etc.
>  */

Yes.  He would have to add it.  Sorry, if that wasn't clear.

> > I think the problem you are seeing is due
> > to the Alpha boot not doing the same thing that the x86
> > boot does (fake up a RAM-disk floppy image, from which
> > the /kernel in the image is loaded, and the resulting
> > system then understands rock-ridge).
>
> Stop thinking, again. 8)  As long as the loader that's being loaded is
> 'cdboot', it ought to read the CDROM filesystem.  It doesn't have
> anything to do with this.

Don't you mean "CDBOOT" and not "cdboot" 8-) 8-)...

-- Terry