Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 2010 15:24:18 -0400
From:      Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net>
To:        Paul B Mahol <onemda@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'Broadcom Wireless b/g (BCM4315/BCM22062000)'

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Paul B Mahol <onemda@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/3/10, Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net> wrote:
> > I figured the general users list was a good place to start. I'm somewhat
> new
> > to FreeBSD still, I have one fbsd7.3 home server and it serves it's
> purposes
> > quite nicely. I decided to installed FreeBSD64 on my laptop. For the most
> > part, things went very well. I got X/Gnome/OOo3 (for school) installed
> and
> > am trucking along quite nicely. My Hiccup as the subject suggests is
> about
> > my Wireless Card. I have been following the handbook (
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/config-network-setup.html) on how to
> use
> > 64-bit Windows drivers coupled w/ ndisgen to get my wireless card
> working. I
> > got ndisgen to generate a kernel module but it immediately caused my
> laptop
> > to reboot when the kernel was loaded. This left me scratching my head. I
> > think I might need firmware (I remember having to extract firmware from
> the
> > driver for linux).
> >
> > pciconf shows the following:
> >
> > [root@BlackDragon [~]# pciconf -lv | grep -A3 0x4315
> > none8@pci0:8:0:0:       class=0x028000 card=0x137c103c chip=0x431514e4
> > rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
> >     vendor     = 'Broadcom Corporation'
> >     device     = 'Broadcom Wireless b/g (BCM4315/BCM22062000)'
> >     class      = network
> > [root@BlackDragon [~]#
> >
> > The laptop is an HP dv2845SE and it's running FreebSD64-8.1. Let me know
> if
> > I missed anything.
>
> NDISulator support for amd64 is currently broken.
> You can try http://gitorious.org/NDISulator but note that amd64 does
> not work for me too.

I did some googleing (is that even spelled right?) on this over the last few
days and I saw posts about NDISulator being broken, but it wasn't in
reference to AMD64. In fact the archived e-mail I read referenced FreeBSD5.x
and I assumed 32-bit given the version number, I was also left w/ the
assumption that NDISulator was new w/ that release of FreeBSD.

Can anyone else shed some light on this subject (even enough light for a
solution :D)