Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 15:28:10 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: email

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 09:13:14AM -0700, Gene Bomgardner wrote:

> On 15 Jul 2002 at 15:05, Daniel Bye wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 08:45:31AM -0500, Henning, Brian wrote:
> > > Hello-
> > > I want to be able to send email outside my network using pine or just
> > > regular mail. Right now I can only send email to users on my local network.
> > > What do I need to do to sendmail to get it to send mail outside my network?
> > > thanks,
> > > brian
> >
> > Look for the DS directive in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf:
> >
> > # "Smart" relay host (may be null)
> > DS
> >
> > Insert the name of your ISP's SMTP relay host in here, restart
> > sendmail and I think that's it...
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > --
> > Daniel Bye
>
> Hmmm... I just installed sendmail and it emailed outside the
> network right out of the box. No changes needed.
>
> I seem to have no need to use the ISP's SMTP host at all.
> Sendmail seems to just contact the receiving host's SMTP mailer
> directly. There must be something else going on.

I think it depends on many things - many mail servers are configured to
reject mail from hosts without valid forward and reverse DNS lookups -
which could well mean whole blocks of addresses used for dial-up or
cable/DSL access won't work (this all depends further on your ISP -
have they bothered to set up DNS?)

Brian - if you're still having problems, let us see your current config
and some extracts from your maillog.  I'm not a sendmail person (I
find exim much easier, partiularly the format of the config files!),
so perhaps I shouldn't have been so quick to step in with an answer.
Sorry, 'n' all that...  ;-)

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \