Date:      Fri, 19 May 1995 10:57:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      william pechter ILEX <pechter@stars.sed.monmouth.army.mil>
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-hackers)
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940?

> Rodney W. Grimes writes:
> >
> > Now we have a second person with a stepping 0 486DX4 chip, care to
> > send me the complete CPUID output and if you can get the serial number
> > and the SX number off the chip I will see what Intel says about this.
>
> That was me.  I sent the CPUID output before; I can send it again
> but I'll have to take a floppy to that machine and boot it.  Let
> me know via e-mail if you want me to do that.
>
> At any rate, here is what it says on the chip:
>
> OverDRIVE DX40DPR100
> C4430635
> SZ926 V1.0
> INTEL (M)(C) '89'93
>
> I don't see an SX number, just that SZ number.
>
> This chip has not worked properly running FreeBSD in either of the
> two motherboards we tried it in, a Micronics "GEMINI" 486VL and a
> Compaq Presario.
>
> On the Micronics it core dumps during big compiles (that is the
> only evident problem; I ran with it for a few days) and on the
> Compaq it reproducibly dies with a "privileged instruction fault
> in kernel mode".  The neat thing about the Compaq failure is that
> it is instruction pattern dependent: when you are lucky you wind
> up with a kernel that boots and runs fine multiuser at 100Mhz, and
> when you are unlucky you wind up with a kernel that reproducibly
> fails at the same instruction, sometimes during boot up and sometimes
> when you run a certain utility.  The reported instruction, btw, is
> not privileged.

Interesting that all my problems with FreeBSD 1.1.5.x and 2.x are on
the non Vesa Micronics "Gemini" (straight ISA bus).

Wonder if there's something in how Micronics is doing stuff
in addition to the chip stepping issue...

Bill
 Bill Pechter |Systems Administrator  | N2RDI
 Ilex Systems |170 Patterson Ave      | Shrewsbury, New Jersey 07702
 908-532-2369 |pechter@sesd.ilex.com  | pechter@stars.sed.monmouth.army.mil