Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 23:14:16 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Akinori -Aki- MUSHA <knu@idaemons.org>, girgen@partitur.se, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: networking vmware

Doug Barton wrote:
> Akinori -Aki- MUSHA wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > At 31 Mar 2000 04:01:58 +0200,
> > Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se> wrote:
> > > How am I supposed to get vmware to network?
> >
> > Currently only "host-only" networking is supported.
>
> 	What does this mean exactly? If I'm running freebsd, and running window
> in vmware, will the windows apps have access to the network?

Well, the "contained" environment only has direct access to the host..
However, the host can route or bridge or nat via other methods...

If you give the vmnet interface a valid routable address you can set your
freebsd host to do ipforwarding and set up your routes and it'll work as
though it was a small ethernet with a real box on the other end instead of
an emulated system.

> Doug
> --
>     "So, the cows were part of a dream that dreamed itself into
> existence? Is that possible?" asked the student incredulously.
>     The master simply replied, "Mu."

Cheers,
-Peter