Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 1997 21:57:58 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew Reilly <reilly@zeta.org.au>
To:        gibbs@plutotech.com
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New SCSI Framework Patches Available

On  2 Oct, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> Supported peripherals:
>
> Direct Access driver (da):
> 	512 byte sectored disk drivers.  Support for other sector sizes is
> 	planned, but further investigation on the "right" approach for this
> 	is needed.  It probably belongs in the disk-slice code.

Pardon for the unhelpful intrusion, but could someone please explain
the issue here?

I have hopes that one day my Fujitsu MO drive will be able to use
2k-sector media.  Is the problem that much of the code calculates size
information in sectors, (perhaps for 32-bit length restriction reasons?)
and these sizes will not be appropriate for the information stored in
them if the sectors themselves are not all the same size?  Would it hurt
(in a system that wished to use 2k-sector media on at least one drive)
to use 2k sectors for all da drives, even if that meant multiple-sector
writes were done as one?

--
Andrew

"The steady state of disks is full."