Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 13:52:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Hulme <dan_256@yahoo.com>
To:        Ernst de Haan <znerd@freebsd.org>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jboss3ctl

--0-575564343-1024951975=:6704

 Yeah.  I found out some more information.  The log file says that "libhpi" couldn't be found.
Here's the info I've gathered:
1). I did a clean reinstall of jboss3, which created a new daemonctl.c that had 1.3.1 as the path.

2). There is still something interesting on the execl line: the /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/bin/java is the 1st AND second argument.  Taking this out didn't change anything, though.  Is that standard procedure (to put the command twice)?  I have seen something like that before, but I thought the second argument to execl was the first argument to the procedure being run.

3). The startup script now works fine (020.startup.sh).  In fact, if I do
      su -m www -c "exec jboss3ctl start"
     It also runs fine.  Additionally, I temporarily created a shell for the www user, and this account can also run the daemon w/o a problem.
4). root can run "java -jar run.jar" fine.
5). root cannot run "jboss3ctl start" successfully.  This puts the error into stderr.log I mentioned above:
    /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libhpi.so" not found (I have the lib in the standard place under jdk1.3.1/jre/lib/i386/green_threads)
6). jboss3ctl is user www, group www with these permissions:

    rwsr-sr--

   Theoretically, this means it should already be running as www if I run it from any other account, right?  So why does it seem to require using "su"?
7). It seems like something is wrong with my ENV, or it wouldn't be complaining about the missing lib.  But the www user has no special ENV settings that I know of.  When is su to www (when I created a shell), it has the same ENV as my root user.
8). I created another user, and put them in the www group.  They cannot run jboss3ctl either.
Hope this all helps.
Thanks,
Dan

  Ernst de Haan <znerd@freebsd.org> wrote: Hi Dan,

If the jboss3 port uses JDK 1.2, then only JDK 1.2 was available when you
installed the port. Run 'make clean deinstall install' to make the port use
your JDK 1.3. If it can't find it, though, it will fallback to a JDK 1.2.

It should work with JDK 1.2 too. Hmmm... Can you tell me what is in the JBoss
3 log file?

Ernst

--0-575564343-1024951975=:6704

<P> Yeah.&nbsp; I found out some more information.&nbsp; The log file says that "libhpi" couldn't be found.
<P>Here's the info I've gathered:
<P>1). I did a clean reinstall of jboss3, which created a new daemonctl.c that had 1.3.1 as the path.<BR><BR>2). There is still something interesting on the execl line: the /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/bin/java&nbsp;is the 1st AND second argument.&nbsp; Taking this out didn't change anything, though.&nbsp; Is that standard procedure (to put the command twice)?&nbsp; I have seen something like that before, but I thought the second argument to execl was the first argument to the procedure being run.</P>
<P>3). The startup script now works fine (020.startup.sh).&nbsp; In fact, if I do <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; su -m www -c "exec jboss3ctl start"<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; It also runs fine.&nbsp; Additionally, I temporarily created a shell for the www user, and this account can also run the daemon w/o a problem.
<P>4). root can run "java -jar run.jar" fine.
<P>5). root cannot run "jboss3ctl start" successfully.&nbsp; This puts the error into stderr.log I mentioned above:<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libhpi.so" not found (I have the lib in the standard place under jdk1.3.1/jre/lib/i386/green_threads)
<P>6). jboss3ctl is user www, group www with these permissions:<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; rwsr-sr--</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp; Theoretically, this means it should already be running as www if I run it from any other account, right?&nbsp; So why does it seem to require using "su"?
<P>7).&nbsp;It seems like&nbsp;something is wrong with my ENV, or it wouldn't be complaining about the missing lib.&nbsp; But the www user has no special ENV settings that I know of.&nbsp; When is su to www (when I created a shell), it has the same ENV as my root user.
<P>8). I created another user, and put them in the www group.&nbsp; They cannot run jboss3ctl either.
<P>Hope this all helps.
<P>Thanks,
<P>Dan
<P>&nbsp;