Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 08:55:35 -0500
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "The Complete FreeBSD"

On 5 Jul 99, at 23:29, Art Neilson, KH7PZ wrote:

> I have the 2nd edition of this excellent tome which I purchased
> approximately a year and a half ago.. I understand there is now
> a 3rd edition Mr. Lehey has written, what FreeBSD releases does it
> cover?  Does it cover 2.x - 3.2?  I'm currently running 3.2-R and
> would be most interested if the book covered that release.

It covers 3.2R.  And it's a marvelous book.  I just got it and can't
recomend it enough for any newbies, or people who are getting used
to FreeBSD.  It looks like a good reference as well, but I'm still
using it as a tutorial so I can't really comment on that.

There are areas where more detail might be a good thing.  But most
of those areas seem to be covered well enough for a beginner, and
if you really need more information, there are separate books on
SendMail, or whatever else you need more help with.

Between the book and the excellent 3.2 installation program, 3.2
was up and running in less than an hour.  Pretty good for my first 3.2
install.  It took me a lot longer to install Win95 and NT later that
day.... and they are supposed to be easier (but we won't go there).

I bought my copy from the FreeBSD Mall, which is the same as
Walnut Creek.  They had the book and disks to me 2 days later.

I later checked the price at different bookseller home pages (if you
need to do that, look at http://www.acses.com/i2b.htm - they
compare prices for you at 25 on line bookstores), and found that no
one else stocked it... and the shipping times were 14 to 41 days, with
no real money savings.

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
    Real programmers confuse XMAS & Halloween: DEC 25=OCT 31