Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:52:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jack <harpo@javanet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't boot new FBSD install...:-(

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Jack wrote:

> Recently I aquired a fujitsu m2694- a rather oldish (94) 1 gig scsi2
> drive. So, I thought, "Hey! What a great day! Now I can devote an entire
> hard drive to 95, and another to FreeBSD rather than messing around,
> guessing partition size." As it turns out, I have OSR2 w/ Fat32 on my
> 1.6 gig Maxtor (IDE), and FreeBSD 2.2.2. sort of installed on the
> Fujitsu. Well, it is installed, I just can't boot to it!

> My scsi controller is an Adaptec 1535 (the 1540 w/o the bios,
> essentially).

Unfortunately, you're in trouble here.  You need the BIOS so something
will command the controller.  This was intended to be used in a slave-type
configuration with a DOS driver most likely, or to have system BIOS
support (like the NCR 53c800 support in the ASUS BIOS).

You'll need to get a BIOS for it so that the bootblocks can talk to the
drives.

> So- how can I get a working FBSD setup on my SCSI disk, preserving as
> much of my existing setup as possible.

You could jumper over to the disk after the SCSI drivers have started by
using the 'fbsdboot' program on the CD.  That should bootstrap it enough
to load the kernel.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo