Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:51:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rhett Monteg Hollander <victorysoldier@yahoo.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Netscape 4.76 & MGA DRI

Hello gentlemen,

several days ago I've installed 5.0-RELEASE onto one
of my machines, which already carried 4.7-RC1. To
avoid possible compatibility problems, I did a clean
install onto another hard drive, and later recompiled
everything. Here I have a couple of annoying issues.

Shell refuses to start Netscape Communicator 4.76 (for
FreeBSD) saying "binary file is not executable", but
it was (and is) running fine under 4.7. Since it was
compiled under FreeBSD 2.2.x, I have compat22
installed (together with compat3x and compat4x). No
help.

Second issue comes to be about hardware-accelerated
OpenGL under XFree86 4.2.0, using Matrox G400
hardware. Simply, there is no hardware acceleration at
all. DRM kernel modules that come with 4.2.0 are
intended for use with FreeBSD 4.x, and they don't even
compile under 5.x. I built kernel with "device mgadrm"
and "options DRM_LINUX", as well as "options
COMPAT_LINUX". After launching glxgears system hangs
up completely. Problem seems to be within libdrm. So
far I have no DRI, but software OpenGL, and 162fps
compared to 368fps under 4.7.

---
Regards,
 Rhett