Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 2009 22:37:24 +0100
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        Erich Jenkins <erich@fuujingroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SunFire v1280

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 06:17:17PM -0600, Erich Jenkins wrote:
> Marius Strobl wrote:

> >>While this particular problem should be easy to solve, v1280
> >>also require several workarounds for additional quirks and
> >>some new drivers to be written, requiring access to such a
> >>machine in a netboot environment. How much are you interested
> >>into getting FreeBSD to work on these and what would be the
> >>required timeframe? In any case could you please provide a
> >>Open Firmware device tree dump of this machine (`prtconf -pPv`
> >>in Solaris).
> >>

> Marius:
>
> This is about as much information as I can offer regarding these
> v1280's. Since these are not running Solaris, I've grabbed the info from
> the lom and SC. Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, these don't provide the same level of information
as a complete device tree dump. Without FreeBSD or Solaris running
on the machine there's no sane way to obtain it though (I don't
know whether OpenBSD provides such a tool).

> As for getting them up and running,
> soon would be good, and however I can assist, I will.

Well, you'd need to provide access to the LOM and a netboot
environment for testing loaders and kernels. Before starting
a new such endeavor I'd like to finish porting FreeBSD to
the PCI-Express based sun4u machines though and also will
be busy changing next at the beginning of next year, which
means I probably won't start working on this before next
February.

Marius