Date:      Sat, 12 Mar 2011 11:47:01 -0600
From:      "Mark Felder" <feld@feld.me>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dell 850 Panic on boot

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to report this but we have a couple
Dell 850s at work and the extra one we're trying to put FreeBSD on panics
on boot. The servers are running 3.0ghz Pentium D processors (dual core)
and they've got the EMT64 extension. So far it panics with the install cd
for these versions:

8.1 i386 and amd64
8.2 i386 and amd64
7.4 amd64

I haven't tried any others. We needed to get this up to test something BSD
specific so right now it's running OpenBSD.

Here is a picture of the console from when it panics:

http://feld.me/stuff/freebsd/dell_850_panic.png

Some people in the ##freebsd channel on Freenode said it looked like it
panics whenever it initializes the second CPU. There's no option in the
BIOS (which is up to date) that offers you the ability to disable a core
or hyperthreading or whatever this CPU does.

Thanks,

Mark