Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 2014 12:31:10 -0700
From:      Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Subject:   Re: System hang on shutdown when running freebsd-update

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 11:53 AM, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>

>>> APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,
>>> MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
>>>
>>> Features2=0xdbae3bf<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,
>>> VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,
>>> x2APIC,POPCNT,TSCDLT,XSAVE,OSXSAVE>
>>>  AMD Features=0x28100800<SYSCALL,NX,RDTSCP,LM>
>>>  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
>>>  Structured Extended Features=0x281<FSGSBASE,SMEP,ERMS>
>>>  VT-x: PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID
>>>  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
>>> real memory  = 4294967296 (4096 MB)
>>> avail memory = 4014346240 (3828 MB)
>>>

>> My usual question for this is does the following help especially if you
>> have IPMI loaded at the time.
>> sysctl hw.usb.no_shutdown_wait=1
>>
>>    Regards
>>    Steve
>>

> No IPMI. No USB disks. It's a little tiny Celeron system in a box  with a
> 500GB disk that I use as a low-power server at home.
>
> It does use a USB keyboard and mouse, so, even though it seems unlikely,
> the sysctl might solve the issue and, since I don't have any other USB
> devices, I think I'll set the sysctl. Won't know if it's resolved until at
> least the next RC or maybe 10.1-RELEASE.
>
> I should have mentioned that the system is on a single UFS GPT partition
> originally installed from the 10.0-RELEASE memstick distro. I did need to
> update the re driver to the one is stable to get my network running, but it
> is now running straight 10.1-RC2 with no modifications.

This freebsd-update hang at "All buffers synced" also happens to me
regularly as well - in Virtualbox.  The most recent one was bumping
from 10.0-RELEASE to 10.1-RC2.

The virtual hardware specs are vanilla: obviously no IPMI, configured
to emualte PIIX3 chipset, I/O APIC enabled.  The only drive in the
virtual system is set up as IDE PIIX4, and using the host's I/O cache.

Royce