Date:      30 Jul 2001 11:27:53 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Oops!

RPH@henrob.co.uk (Hemsley, Robin) writes:

> I don't know if this is the appropriate address to send this problem to but
> here goes...

Yep.  But Reading the Fine Manual first is the recommended procedure
for getting help from this list.

> I am new to unix and foolishly changed the root accounts shell to a
> non-existant one (/bin/bash). Dead, dead clever - I know! So the problem now
> is that I can't login as root nor SU to root and therefore can't change my
> shell back.

Common problem.  People ask about it all the time.  That's why it's in
the Frequently Asked Questions list.

> Is there a (relatively) simple way to change back to a shell which actually
> exists...?

Certainly.  "I made a mistake in rc.conf, or another startup file, and
now I cannot edit it because the filesystem is read-only. What should I do?"
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/admin.html#RCCONF-READONLY