Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 2004 22:13:12 +0100
From:      Manfred Lotz <manfred.lotz@web.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shared object "libc.so.5" not found

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 15:58:23 +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 03:17:32PM +0100, Manfred Lotz wrote:
>> I've set up a new 4.9 STABLE system. Now when I want to install wget I
>> get
>> Shared object "libc.so.5" not found
>> after a while.
>>
>> I did a: cd /usr/ports/ftp/wget;make install
>>
>> Any idea what's happening?
>
> Yes.  Somehow you've managed to install a FreeBSD 5.x version of one of
> the build tools used by the ftp/wget port, and that won't run under
> FreeBSD 4.x.  devel/gmake is a likely candidate -- can you run?:
>
>     % gmake --version
>
> If that doesn't work, then you should:
>
>     # pkg_delete -f gmake-\*
>     # cd /usr/ports/devel/gmake
>     # make install
>
> However, the problem doesn't have to be within gmake -- it could be any
> of these ports:
>
>     ...ports/ftp/wget:% make pretty-print-build-depends-list This port
>     requires package(s) "expat-1.95.6_1 gettext-0.12.1 gmake-3.80_1
>     libiconv-1.9.1_3" to build.
>
> and you might have to delete and re-install those in a similar way.
>
> Alternatively, if you're a portupgrade user you can force a
> rebuild/reinstall of *everything* that the wget port depends on in one
> fell swoop by:
>
>     # portupgrade -Rf ftp/wget
>
> which should sort things out.

I tried it all although it didn't help. But your comments were very
valuable because they did point me to the right direction.

There was a makeinfo binary from FreeBSD 5.1 in my path which caused the
problems. This was because I have a TeXLive installation which I took over
from my FreeBSD 5.2 CURRENT system as well as I took over the ~/.zshrc
which had a PATH statement including the "old" FreeBSD 5.2 bin directory
of TeXLive.

Thanks a lot,
Manfred