Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 16:18:05 +0000
From:      Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
To:        vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu (Kevin Van Maren)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quad Ethernet Card Question

In  <199608151843.MAA15149@fast.cs.utah.edu> , you wrote:

> I was reading through the FreeBSD mailing list archive, and
> I looked at the FreeBSD-current source.  However, I'm still
> a little confused.  It appears that all the ZNYX 10Mb cards *are*
> supported, but that the CogentData cards are NOT fully supported?

That's correct.

> Does someone have a list of multi-port PCI NIC cards (based on
> the DEC chip) that are known to work with FreeBSD?

SMC 8434
ZNYX ZX314 & ZX315

> We are looking primarially at the Cogent EM964, as it has 4 BNC
> connectors as an option.  We may go 10/100, which means the Cogent
> EM440TX, and the ZNXY 346 (or 348) cards.  There is also a card by
> Rockwell Network Systems (RNS 2340).

None of those are currently supported.  It's more likely that the
10/100 cards will be supported before the 10 only cards.

> If only the ZNYX 314 is supported, we could go with the 314
> (or 315) cards.

They are supported.  (actually so are a bunch DEC cards which DEC
never produced.)

> All these cards seem very similar, in that they use a bridged PCI
> design, so they should all "just work" with the Dec driver...
> (Currently using FreeBsd 2.1.5)

They should but they don't.  This is because vendors all sorts of
evil hacks and follow accepted practices.  So my driver has to
identify the card and properly set things up.  For instance, some
cards tie all the devices to INTA of the "master" card and only
have one PROM.

Things should get better soon though as soon as I finish the major
revision of the de driver that I'm working on.
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message