Date:      Sat, 19 May 2012 06:27:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Beastie-Boy <networkaholic@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   stay up to date with ports and packages, problem

Hi folks,

i ran into problems keeping my ports-collection up to date.
Although i did a portsnap fet and install i think there are obsolete an old
ports still on the disk.
I tried to compile a programm and it complained about an older version of a
depending package.
I deleted the whole ports-dir, did the fetch and extract again, problem
persists still.
Yes, i searched all the forums and read a lot about managing ports and
packages.
Right now i am stuck.
So, how do i delete really *all* ports and *all* packages at once?
Is it possible with doing a fectch and extract having the latest ports?
I was recommended to use only portmaster and not to use sysinstall after a
finished installation.
Well, i dont know.