Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 21:27:10 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: allowing pings out from my firewall

Sam Carleton wrote:

> Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > * Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com> [000724 13:49] wrote:
> > > I have a normal user on my FreeBSD box that needs to run ping and
> > > traceroute.  I do NOT want to give this user the ability to su in as
>
> > > root.  What do I need to do so this user can run ping and
> traceroute?
> >
> > Ping and traceroute are suid therefore you don't need to be root
> > to use them, they automatically grant the appropriate level of
> > privledge to perform the operations needed.
>
> I was wrong, I (as root) just tried to ping something and I got the
> error
> message:
>
> ping: sendto: Permission denied
>
> After thinking about this for a moment, I realized that I believe this
> be a firewall issue.  I have the "simply" firewall running on this
> 4.0-STABLE
> machine and I think it is the firewall that is stopping ping from going
> out.  How
> do I modify the firewall to allow pings  and traceroute to get out?

See the "Setting-up a Dual-Homed Host..." at
http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/. He has an example of
allowing ping and another for setting up traceroute. The traceroute
only permits 30 hop's.

Kent

> --
> Sam Carleton
> Please stop by http://www.maineville.net and
> help my local police force!

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg