Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 15:16:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Patrick Giagnocavo <support@xinside.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun Workshop compiler vs. GCC?

Satoshi Asami writes:
>  * One final observation:  Isn't it scary that merely by recompiling their OS
 >  * with the new compiler, the next version of Solaris/x86 (2.6) should be
 >  * significantly faster than the previous version, making it an even bigger
 >  * threat to the free UNIX's for commercial users, and ESPECIALLY the
 >  * education market? While FreeBSD and Linux have an advantage by being
 >
 > I'm optimistic about this.  My understanding is that the slowness and
 > number of bugs of Solaris is intrinsic to its complexity of design
 > (and also the fact that it was designed for workstations in mind,
 > initially).  You just can't make a huge mammoth run fast, no matter
 > how much cash you sink into the compiler.  Compiler optimization is no
 > cure for bad design.

I tried to get Solaris x86 up on two different machines.  No go.  Can
however install Linux FreeBSD etc. on these systems no problem.
System A - it didn't properly detect my Adaptec 1542B.

System B - couldn't install the boot blocks properly on an IDE (not
EIDE) drive.

Solaris won't capture the market, because they don't have a good
installation program.  Maybe this isn't a very technical problem, but
it is a very real consideration when dealing with people who are just
trying to get things to work... I'd plunk down the money for Solaris
x86 if it would install easier - but it doesn't.

cordially

--Patrick