Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 2008 03:44:32 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Christoph Schug <chris+freebsd-stable@schug.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, David Peall <david@esn.org.za>
Subject:   Re: Problem with dump stalling

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 12:08:17PM +0200, Christoph Schug wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 08, 2008, David Peall wrote:
>
> > I'm running 7.0-RELEASE-p4 and trying to backup to an external USB
> > drive.
> >
> > I'm using the following command
> >
> > dump -a0Lf /backup/diskimages/root /dev/mfid0s1a
> [...]
> > But it just stops at a random percentage,  the system continues to run
> > and the processes are killable?
>
> This is a know bug which mainly affects multi-core CPU systems. It is
> fixed in RELENG_7 see also PR bin/121684 [1] where the relevant patch
> is referenced.
>
> [1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/121684

This was fixed on HEAD in revision 1.48 (March 13th), with the comment
"MFC: 1 week".

The commit to RELENG_7 did not happen until April 19th, see revision
1.39.2.3:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/kern/subr_sleepqueue.c

The PR referenced in the CVS commit is PR 117603.

David, can you verify you're using a version of
src/sys/kern/subr_sleepqueue.c that is 1.39.2.3 or newer?

If so, the problem David is experiencing is different.  If not, David
will need to csup and then rebuild world and kernel (do NOT just do
one; do both) to pick up the changes.