Date:      Mon, 23 May 2005 16:06:17 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: Fetch

Grant Peel wrote:

 > "Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
 > port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/ and try again."

First off, there should be a message from fetch which says more
then "Can't fetch this, try it manually."  It could be "file unavailable:
file not found, no access" or it might be "/usr/ports/distfiles is not
writable by you" or it could be ... well, maybe you get it.  Let us know
if there's more to the error than just what you quoted.  There should
be --- there almost *has* to be.

 > I can fetch manually.

Can you manually fetch the *exact* distfile that the port
is attempting to fetch?

If so, then we need to continue looking at machine config,
etc.

If not, it suggests that a 5.2.1 ports tree is rather out of date
(which is probably is IMHO anyway).  Use pkg_add (or sysinstall)
to install cvsup, then cvsup the ports tree and try again.

KDK