Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 2002 06:09:47 -0400
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>, Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Ports List <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Gnome Team <gnome@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fork bombs registering packages using GNOMENG

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 10:14:32AM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 02:47:01PM -0400, Alan E wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 07:51:15PM +0200, Jeremy Lea wrote:
>> >Hi,

>> >And if you hold down the power button it turns the whole machine off...
>> >What's your point?
>>
>> I fail to see the analogy.
>>
>> If setting USE_GNOME (it was an attempt to get rid of esound) on the
>> command line is going to have such catastrophic results, then
>> bsd.gnomeng.mk ought to detect it and stop the make and issue a
>> diagnostic message indicating that what you've done is wrong.
>>
>> I don't think it is reasonable that something as innocuous as attempting
>> to override a variable on the make command line can bring the machine to
>> its knees (although, to its credit, the kernel did not fall over).
>>
>> Personally, I thik a fork bomb coming out of a port make for *any*
>> reason whatsoever is indicative of a severe design or implementation
>> error. It just should *not* happen.
>
>Try to do `make USE_XLIB=yes install' in any x11 ports and you'll
>get the same forkbomb. Please learn how bsd.port.mk in particular and
>make(1) in general work and then we'll return to this discussion.

Max, that was just just plain insulting. I've been using make for about
20 years. You should be able to detect, as KK suggested, when these
things that aren't meant by our designs to be done, are done, and die
gracefully with an error message.

>-Maxim

I don't believe I've ever insulted you personally, in either public or
private. Disagreed, yes, but not insulted. Please try to keep that kind
of shit out of it, ok? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

--
Alan Eldridge
Unix/C(++) IT Pro, 20 yrs, seeking new employment.