Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 1997 19:41:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        dk+@ua.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2nd Notice:  4 days to code freeze in RELENG_2_2 branch.

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

    > On Thu, Oct 02, 1997 at 11:04:04PM -0700, Dmitry Kohmanyuk wrote:
    > > In article <Pine.BSF.3.96.970926195319.253A-100000@acp.qiv.com> you wrote:
    > >> Would it be possible to uncomment the HDB capabilities in UUCP for the
    > >> next release? Even though UUCP died years ago, I'm converting more
    > >
    > > UUCP WHAT??    How else are you supposed to do mail backups with
    > > other ISP, but with UUCP over TCP to your primary line?
    > > The network I set up in university 2 years ago still works this way,
    > > and mail goes in and out even if leased line and/or router died.
    > >
    > > What about hundreds of customers in xUSSR with non-nailed lines (which
    > > are more expensive than dedicated ISDN in the U.S.?)  etc.
    > >
    > > As for UUCP in FreeBSD tree, well, there were some problems reported
    > > before, but I beleive they were all fixed.
    >
    > I certainly believe that reports of UUCP's death are greatly
    > exaggerated.  I'm documenting it in the second edition of "The
    > Complete FreeBSD".
    >
    > That doesn't mean, of course, that I think HDB is the way to go.  The
    > Taylor semantics are much easier to handle.

Yes, Taylor is better in some respects. I'm not suggesting changing
sample files or anything _except_ uncommenting the HDB capability in
the build. When you are migrating from an older HDB system to FreeBSD,
_and there is no compeling reason_ to use Taylor features, it is
simpler, quicker and more reliable to simply move the config files to
the FreeBSD system and go.

The down side is code size. It will grow a bit. The up side is that
those of us who use it won't have to convert files and can convert
older systems more quickly (and at less cost to a paying client.)
Newbies won't see the change because they won't be using it. Old farts
like me will be happier because we can deal with the same files we
have been using for years. What can it hurt?

    > Greg

-- Jay