Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2013 16:42:46 +0000
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
Cc:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: security/gnupg

On 1 Feb 2013 15:34, "Jerry" <jerry@seibercom.net> wrote:

> Many users have reported in the past that one of the problems with the
> ports system is that "OPTIONS" are not properly documented. Usually, if
> I spend some time, I can locate it but it is a PIA. However, with the
> "security/gnupg" port, I cannot find out specifically what this option
> does:
>
> [ ] STD_SOCKET  Use standard socket for agent
>
> This is off by default. Is there any advantage to activating it and
> why isn't it using a standard socket to begin with?
>
> Maybe if a port had a file name "options-descr" or some such thing and
> it listed each available option in the port and specifically what it
> did or how it effected the operation of the application, it would prove
> beneficial to the end use. Just my 2=A2 on the matter.

You're right, and ports will move towards more verbose option descriptions
in the future.  However, the version dialog in older (but still supported)
versions of FreeBSD chokes on long descriptions.  Once we are free of
supporting older versions, longer/more descriptive descriptions will be
possible.

Perhaps Kuriyama-san may comment on STD_SOCKET, but my general rule of
thumb is to customise as little as possible, so if the option isn't
obviously what you want, just leave it as default :)

Chris