Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2002 13:45:16 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        David Coder <dacoder@dcoder.net>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gettimeofday

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 12:11:21PM -0500, David Coder wrote:

> :> the passwd command hangs on my 4.7-stable system.  truss shows that the
> :> "gettimeofday()" call is not answered.  why would that happen?

> :Can you please post the truss output?  It may be that the process is
> :looping in userland, not hanging in the kernel via a system call (so
> :truss wouldn't see it).

> Here's the output.  i don't know why the apparent call to yp.  it's not enabled.

It's not _configured_ on your system, but it's always present in the
code (otherwise if you were to decide to set it up you'd need to
recompile every binary on your system, including ports).

> gettimeofday(0xbfbff414,0x0)			 = 0 (0x0)
> SIGNAL 2
> SIGNAL 2
> SIGNAL 2
> process exit, rval = 2

As I guessed, the process is not hanging in gettimeofday(), but is
doing something in userland.

You'll need to rebuild/reinstall passwd with debugging symbols enabled
(CFLAGS="-ggdb", STRIP=) and get a gdb backtrace of the running passwd
program to work out where it's looping.

Kris