Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:50:52 +0100
From:      Dimitry Andric <dimitry@andric.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kldload(2) and debug kernels

------------EF128D525DF21C

On 2003-11-17 at 18:47:28 Doug White wrote:

> If you give a specific path to a module then it will load that module.

No. It will not load arbitrary files, but _only_ files that end in
".ko". I've encountered this before, and therefore I always simply
follow a make installkernel.debug by a script like:

  #!/bin/sh
  kernpath=/boot/kernel
  for i in ${kernpath}/*.debug; do mv $i `echo $i | sed s/\.debug$//`; done
  rm -fv ${kernpath}/linker.hints
  kldxref -v ${kernpath}

This is simply because I almost never keep a copy of /usr/obj after
installing, and it can be handy to debug later. I assume that all
debugging info is simply ignore by the boot and kernel module loaders,
but it can later be used by kgdb.

------------EF128D525DF21C

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (MingW32)

iD8DBQE/uTSssF6jCi4glqMRAlBlAJ0VW1fv2w2so4YDEgX7ysUEn8kKiACdEP54
uI4OoBN4JIXtGFxuDBiolMM=
=0ORC
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

------------EF128D525DF21C--