Date:      Fri, 01 Jun 2001 18:35:59 +0200
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ad0 write command timeouts after upgrading to 4.3-RELEASE

Hello,

I have just upgraded to 4.3-RELEASE a machine based on a Gigabyte 7ZX
motherboard (KT133 chipset, VIA 686A ATA66 controller). Since that
moment, when I stress the disk with many writes (for example, untar
an large archive), the kernel complaints with these messages:

ata0: resetting devices .. done
ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting

The disk ATA mode does not fall back to PIO; eventually, the untar
finishes.

Surprisingly, if I enable write caching the problem seems to dissapear.
Maybe I did not see this problem with 4.2-RELEASE because WC was
enabled by default.

I did the same tests on other machine with the same motherboard and
processor (Duron 800MHz), but different disk, and everything works
fine.

These are the relevant lines of dmesg output on the problem machine:

atapci0: <VIA 82C686 ATA66 controller> port 0xffa0-0xffaf at device 7.1 on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
ad0: 19546MB <FUJITSU MPG3204AT E> [39714/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA66
acd0: CDROM <LG CD-ROM CRD-8522B> at ata1-master using WDMA2

Bad disk firmware?

Cheers,
-- JMA
****** Jose M. Alcaide  //  jose@we.lc.ehu.es  //  jmas@FreeBSD.org ******
** "Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers" --  Leonard Brandwein **