Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 09:24:49 -0500
From:      David Deaven <deaven@execpc.com>
To:        "Rick Knebel" <rknebel@rknebel.csrlink.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: R/W CDROM

I heartily recommend the RICOH MP2001S, which has a caddy and 2Mb buffer *if*
you buy the OEM version (available on the net, search for it). The OEM version
is also cheaper than the fancy boxed version but still comes with Adaptec
software (DirectCD) for win95 and NT.  I use this drive with an ncr 810 PCI
scsi card and FreeBSD (cdrecord driver program, see ports), and it works
great.  I can burn CDs even when my system is heavily loaded with no problems,
and I have made 1 coaster in >100 burns.  (I use this drive for my primary
backup device.)