Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 13:40:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Kenneth P. Stox" <stox@imagescape.com>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: I386_CPU

On 18-Jan-01 Will Andrews wrote:
> Well, Warner, I've never done embedded systems.  So, tell me, do they
> actually use any C++ code in embedded systems?  C++ has a rather high
> overhead as far as disk space & memory goes.  I would imagine that 99%+
> of embedded systems do not use C++ code except perhaps for a very small
> amount of the code.

FYI, one of the first C++ applications to see the light of day outside of Bell
Labs was DMDPI, a debugger for an intelligent graphic terminal ( DMD5620 ). I
think that comes close to qualifying as an embedded application. When it is the
right tool for the right job, C++ can be the most efficient tool around. When
used incorrectly, it can be a nightmare, but then again, so can any language.