Date:      Mon, 11 May 1998 15:18:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Robert <robert@mhi-tx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how about dump??

On Mon, 11 May 1998, Robert wrote:

> does anyone use dump and restore for backups??
> any rules of thumb for using it.
> I guess I would always want to do full backups of all filesystems.
> (this is just a web and mail server)
> what are the recommended options etc??
> I seem to be having a hard time finding examples in any man pages or
> faqs.

The archives should be full of them, or at least this example:

rdump 0uBbf 2000000 10 xyz.uoregon.edu:/dev/nrst0 /
rdump 0uBbf 2000000 10 xyz.uoregon.edu:/dev/nrst0 /var
rdump 0uBbf 2000000 10 xyz.uoregon.edu:/dev/nrst0 /usr
rdump 0uBbf 2000000 10 xyz.uoregon.edu:/dev/rst0 /usr1

This is using rdump, simply change to dump and remove the hostname: for
local usage.

You may want to use options 0uaf rather than 0uBbf so it'll run to
end-of-tape.