Date:      Fri, 29 Apr 2005 21:27:47 +0000
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64 as nfs-server

Palle Girgensohn wrote:

> --On måndag, april 25, 2005 22.53.01 +0200 Claus Guttesen
> <kometen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I'm getting a couple of Dell 2850's with dual EMT64 cpu's @ 2.8 GHz to
>> replace our very trusty PIII-nfs-servers. I am accustomed to the
>> rock-solid stability of the i386-port of the 5.x-branch and will
>> probably put i386 on them. But has anyone used the amd64 coupled with
>> PE 2850's as nfs-servers? They have onboard em-interfaces.

Well, I don't have the 2850's, but I have a dual amd64 usinmg a Tyan
Mobo, and it's quite fast, quite safe.  I went and bought a couple of
refurbished 145G scsi drives, and linked them up on a raid via vinum,
and it's huge, safe, fast, and reliable.  Being that it's refurbished,
the reliable part needs some watching for, but so far, so good.