Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 21:26:48 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "FreeBSD-Ports" <FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Apache-FP v1.3.3 port corrupting FreeBSD O/S

I am having a problem with a port that I am maintaining.  On Oct 14, I
updated the Apache-FP port to use Apache v1.3.3. On a FreeBSD 2.2.7-Stable
system updated around Oct 12th - 13th.

The problem starts when you abort the install, by answering NO to any of the
questions in the fp_install.sh script.  Then when you try a second make
install it fails trying to read the apache config files.  Then if you do a
make clean ; make configure it will fail to configure the Apache-FP server.
Then if you attempt to configure the apache13 port, it fails at the same
point as the apache13-fp port.  Some one had downloaded this port off of my
ftp site and it had done the same thing to their system.  He advised he
couldn't compile the sudo port after the failed Apache13-FP install.

The only way I could get the system to work again was to re-install FreeBSD
using "2.2.7-19981016-SNAP" and the install.sh scripts.  I also ran into the
problem where several files wouldn't install until I reset the schg flag
(i.e. chflags -R noschg /usr/lib).

Since the install of this SNAP, I can do a make clean; make configure; make
clean; make build; make clean; make configure; ...  and it will configure
and compile with no problems.  I haven't attempted a make install.

The only change I made to the install was in post-install, where I added a
sed command to enter the correct location of perl 5 into the apache.sh
template file. Which doesn't work, it installs a 0 byte file into
/usr/local/etc/rc.d.

test/Makefile

FILESDIR=files
PREFIX="/usr/local"
PERL5="/usr/local/bin/perl"
CAT="/bin/cat"
SED="/usr/bin/sed"
SH="/bin/sh"

install:
            @${CAT} ${FILESDIR}/apache.sh.tmpl | \
            ${SED} -e 's;PREFIX;${PREFIX};' -e 's;PERL5;${PERL5};' >
apache.sh

test/files/apache.sh.tmpl

#test file

PREFIX/test

PERL5/test

When I type:

$ make install
"Makefile", line 10: Need an operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

and line 10 is the SED command (its complaining about the "> apache.sh").
Any Ideals as to why this won't work in a makefile?  The apache
Makefile.tmpl has the exact same thing and it works.

If I change the above Makefile to a shell script, then it will work.

I checked the fp_install.sh script and it hasn't had any change made to it
since the apache-fp v1.3.1 port, and this one installs with no problems.

Is there any brave soul out there that is willing to look at this port to
find out why it messes up?

Its available at:

ftp://www.westbend.net/pub/apache-fp/FreeBSD/test/apache-fp.133.tgz

Thanks for any help,