Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 21:16:15 +0100
From:      "Steve Howe" <steve.howe@lhowe.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   English buffoon tries something technically ambitious - ie installing FreeBSD

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BEA6F3.D2DE4B80

Well,=20

  not that ambitious really...

  ...I'm trying to install FreeBSD2.2.8 on an HP Brio with a =
(non-supported) Goldstar CDROM - CRD8322B. So the CD option doesn't =
work.

  I've made myself a boot floppy, following the normal instructions, =
which seemed to work fine, but only did half the job, in that a boot =
manager was successfully installed, and Windows 98 (spit) can't see the =
disk that I allocated to freebsd.

  But it never had the ability to download all those fine unixy things =
like files because it had nowhere to download them from.

  I got on to the web, and found some documentation telling me to copy =
floppies\kern.flp, and floppies\mfsroot.flp from the CDs. Only problem =
was that I can't find them on the CDs. And I can't see how this will =
enable me to download the rest of the stuff that I will need from the =
CDs either. What's the plan there?

  Any help and advice gratefully received,

  cheers,

  Steve Howe
  Harpenden,=20
  England
 =20

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BEA6F3.D2DE4B80

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Well, </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; not that ambitious really...</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; ...I'm trying to install FreeBSD2.2.8 on an HP Brio with a=20
(non-supported) Goldstar CDROM - CRD8322B. So the CD option doesn't =
work.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; I've made myself a boot floppy, following the normal =
instructions,=20
which seemed to work fine, but only did half the job, in that a boot =
manager was=20
successfully installed, and Windows 98 (spit) can't see the disk that I=20
allocated to freebsd.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; But it never had the ability to download all those fine =
unixy things=20
like files because it had nowhere to download them from.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; I got on to the web, and found some documentation telling me =
to copy=20
floppies\kern.flp, and floppies\mfsroot.flp from the CDs. Only problem =
was that=20
I can't find them on the CDs. And I can't see how this will enable me to =

download the rest of the stuff that I will need from the CDs either. =
What's the=20
plan there?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; Any help and advice gratefully received,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; cheers,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; Steve Howe</DIV>