Date:      Sun, 06 Jan 2002 21:56:05 -0700
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, FBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Editors in base FBSD

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002 20:56:48 -0500  parv wrote:
 +------------------
 | let me put my us 2 cents worth ... for three years i used the ispf
 | editor on os/390.  and every time i had edited a file, i longed for vi.
 |
 | editing on a machine (local pc) other than where files were located
 | (mainframe) was more time consuming, even if i would get to use my
 | favourite editor, than using the ispf and cursing it.
 +------------------

Emacs has a mode called (I think) ange-ftp.  In this mode it uses FTP to
hide the fact that you are editing files on a remote computer.

It does not take too much creativity to do a similar thing by
wrapping VI in an scp sandwich to do a similar thing.

Still I understand the OP's lament.  It is inconvenient to have to use an
environment that you are not familiar with.  I find myself typing all kind
of 'k's and 'j's when I edit something using wordpad or some other
bit or redmondware.

--
    Chris Fedde