Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 20:18:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        FREEBSD-QUESTIONS-L <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Filtering rules in syslog.conf

    I have a fairly simple requirement that I can't seem to get
working with syslogd/syslog.conf.  I would like all messages generated
by a particular program to go to a particular file, and nowhere else.
Is that possible?

    For example, this line will accomplish the first half of what I
want:

!telnetd
*.*                                     /var/log/telnetd.log

    The only problem is that the telnetd messages go to *both*
/var/log/messages as well as /var/log/telnetd.log.  How do I tell
syslogd not to send to both?  I know you can disable certain
facilities with the "none" level, but that affects all messages, not
just those coming from a particular program.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.