Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 21:54:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing

Mike Smith, On 31-Oct-98 you wrote:

> > I am getting an error message indicating ``Can't find /mfsroot''
> > ls form the boot, says ``Can't find / ''
> >
> > What gives?
>
>  When you make the mfsroot floppy, use the instructions in /etc/disktab
>  when you newfs it.

Which label in which disktab?  I assume the disktab in the 3.0 release, but
want to be sure.

>  I don't understand why a "vanilla" filesystem doesn't work yet; you're
>  welcome to investigate if you have a little time.

To clarify, I am putting the mfsroot.gz on a floppy.  It appears as if the
kernel (both the 27th and the 29th) want /mfsroot.

I am doing:

        fdformat -f 1440 fd0.1440
        disklabel -w -r fd0.1440 floppy3
        newfs -t 2 -u 18 -l 1 -i 65536 /dev/rfd0

(Streight off Jordan's install.txt)  and it seems great under i386 FreeBSD.

I will not ask why the floppy needs 5 cylinder groups and 5 copies of the
superblock... :-)

Simon