Date:      Sat, 16 Apr 2016 09:43:49 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
To:        "Allan Kapoma" <allan.kapoma@zamnet.zm>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>, 'Nalumino Moola' <nalumino.moola@zamnet.zm>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from FreeBSD 4.1

Hi,

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 10:09:34 +0200
"Allan Kapoma" <allan.kapoma@zamnet.zm> wrote:

> I'm running FreeBSD 4.10 and I want to upgrade the system to a later
> version of FreeBSD.

this is from 2004 and still running. I wonder if you can even update to
the latest version. I have had a notebook, I never brought to 8 as its
hardware was not supported from 8 onward.

If you really want to update, use sources to move from version to
version. I would move to 5.21 first and the 6.0, 7.0 ...

It will not be possible to compile new versions with the old compiler
you have.

The binary upgrade came later. When you have reached that version, you
can go via binary upgrades.

Of course, you can have a try and move directly to the oldest version
supporting binary upgrades. I only doubt that your old compiler will
support this.

Good luck.

Erich