Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 15:53:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <tim@ppp1671.on.sympatico.ca>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, hoek@hwcn.org, softweyr@xmission.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> > > and then again for themselves.  Would a change to the tax system
> > > so that those going to a separate system pay only the difference
> > > twice seem reasonable to you?  (ie. if one normally had to pay 7$
> > > to the public system, but one currently had children privately
> > > educated, paying 10$, one would pay only the difference, 3$, to
> > > the public system).
>
> If one school cost $12 instead of $10, the parents of a child in that
> school would pay $5 instead of $3.  I think what you want to do is

That's the intention.  :-)

> The proposal that's been around for quite a while, in different forms,
> is the school voucher.  The parents get a voucher for a child worth
> say $1500 (probably something less than the full cost of sending the

Yes, the voucher idea is gaining popularity around here, too.  In
addition to helping separate & religious schools, it also has the
benefit of inducing some amount of competition in public schools.

I tend to be slightly liberal, though, and I think that the voucher
discourages the development of a quality public system.  The
monetary value of the voucher will slowly be eroded, and the rich
will be unaffected, but those with less money will not have the
ability to suplement the voucher.

> Constitutional question of separation of church and state is pretty
> much taken care of by giving the vouchers to the parents and not
> directly to the schools, although some people still consider it
> unconstitutional.)

Hm.  It's the reverse that some people consider unconstitutional
here.  :)

> There are a lot of arguments against vouchers; what we really need
> is an experiment in a large state (e.g., California) that goes on for
> long enough to produce some results.

I think the Tory gov't in Ontario tends to theoretically support
vouchers.  I don't think they'll try it, though, since they're in
enough trouble as it is.

--
 tIM...HOEk
OPTIMIZATION: the process of using many one-letter variables names