Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2006 12:50:14 -0400
From:      Pat Lashley <patl+freebsd@volant.org>
To:        Fredrik Lindberg <fli+freebsd-net@shapeshifter.se>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Zeroconfig and Multicast DNS

> In short, zeroconfig allows a host to automatically negotiate
> a collision free ip-address with other hosts on the network in the
> absence of a DHCP-server. It's suitable for small ad-hoc networks,
> or in embedded solutions.

Actually, that is IPv4 Link Local Addressing. Zeroconfig includes that,
Multicast DNS, Service Discovery and anything else that removes the need for
manual configuration.

I'm very glad to hear that somebody is working on IPv4 Link Local for FreeBSD.

> Multicast DNS is DNS without a server, you can think of it as mixing

Doesn't the net/mDNSResponder port handle both mDNS and (m)DNS-based service
discovery? Is it missing some functionality that can't be easily handled by a
wrapper?  (E.g. An nss_mdns that uses their libdns_sd.so)

-Pat