Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 2021 17:07:05 +0000
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>, Duke Normandin <sidney.reilley.ii@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Partitioning 1T HDD

On 19/03/2021 16:52, Robert Huff wrote:

> Duke Normandin <sidney.reilley.ii@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>   Other than being GUI-based, is there any distinct advantage to
>>   using GPT?
>
> 	Um ... I have used GPT for about 10 years.
> 	Never have I used it with a GUI.

I think there's confusion between gpart(1), the FreeBSD command line
utility, and Gparted, a GUI based program that runs on other OSes.

I also have used GPT disks for about a decade, even on old kit with only
an old school BIOS. It's not just the far greater number of partitions
that makes it superior, it's the ability to use partition labels
regardless of what the partition contains. If you're multibooting it's
so much easier having device names like /dev/gpt/fbsdroot in your
/etc/fstab rather than having to remember which partition number you used.

--
The number of people predicting the demise of Moore's Law doubles
every 18 months.