Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:50:25 GMT
From:      Russell Francis <rfrancis@ev.net>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/68518: Hangs while loading agp during boot from install media.

The following reply was made to PR i386/68518; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Russell Francis <rfrancis@ev.net>
To: "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: i386/68518: Hangs while loading agp during boot from install
 media.
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 19:49:18 +0000

 Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
 > On 2004.07.07 10:59:48 +0000, Russell Francis wrote:
 >

 >>I looked at problem report 61739 and am not sure how to adjust my AGP
 >>aperature size?  I did not see an option in my BIOS, is there a boot
 >>option or sysctl variable which can be set?
 >

 > If there is no BIOS option I don't think it's possible.
 >

 >>The aperature size is also lower than 256MB so I am not sure this
 >>pr[68518] relates to that pr[61739].
 >

 > OK, it was just an idea, your problem could different.
 >

 >>I have currently worked around the problem by installing freebsd on a
 >>different machine, rebuilding the kernel without AGP support and then
 >>swapping the harddrive into the offending machine.  I am happy to
 >>continue working through the problem though.
 >

 > Could you try to boot a -CURRENT kernel with AGP support, or a
 > -CURRENT snapshot [1] to see if the problem has been fixed after
 > 5.2.1?
 >
 > [1] http://snapshots.jp.freebsd.org/

 I downloaded

 ftp://snapshots.jp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/ISO-IMAGES/cdboot-current.iso

 This morning, <July 12, 2004> and tried to boot the machine from CD, it
 still hung at the same location.

 Thanks,
 Russ