Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 2008 03:38:04 +0900
From:      Takanori Watanabe <takawata@init-main.com>
To:        Miguel Lopes Santos Ramos <miguel@anjos.strangled.net>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suspend/Resume on AMD64

In message <200808301751.m7UHprcc023311@satan.anjos.strangled.net>, Miguel Lope
s Santos Ramos wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm running amd64 on my laptop since early 2005.
>Had a bunch of problems, ehci, radeon, etc, but most were fixed by someone sin
>ce then.
>One thing I still miss though is ACPI suspend/resume.
>Browsing through dev/acpica I found out that this feature set is simply disabl
>ed outside i386
>(several #ifndef __i386__) and figured that maybe that's just because no one a
>ppeared to test it.

The code is in i386/acpica/acpi_wakeup.c, i386/acpica/acpi_wakecode.S

>Well, I hereby volunteer to test this.
>I have already removed the ifndefs and achieved a machine hang when tried to s
>uspend.
>
>I have some experience with 80386 initialization (almost obsolete),
>I am a capable programmer (able to keep the indentation of an existing source
>file),
>and may be able to develop some new code if someone points me to the right
>documents at Intel or AMD.
>I am partially available on weekends.
>
>Will someone involved with suspend/resume on i386 help me on this?

You called me? :-)

>Would it be necessary to move to -CURRENT?
>Where should I start?

Copy the code to amd64/acpica/ then try to run as it is.
In amd64, you have to preserve many registers than i386, so
the code should be more ABI aware.
http://2008.asiabsdcon.org/papers/P9A-paper.pdf

To debug lowest part of resume code, you may want to use
BEEP debug.

I wrote incomplete SMP suspend/resume code 3 months ago.
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-acpi/2008-May/004879.html

Indeed, I reserve 10GB partition to my primary laptop
to develop amd64 suspend/resume.But I don't even install it yet.
So if you implement it, I'm willing to test it :-P.