Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 08:44:16 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jukka_Simil=E4?= <jukka.simila@sveg.se.sykes.com>
To:        'Thomas Runge' <runge@rostock.zgdv.de>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Breakthrough: MPEG-2 hardware for FreeBSD ...

> Roger told me something about new Hauppauge cards with a cheap
> mpeg chip on it, which can do realtime encoding/decoding as well.
> So we need some abstract API for these cards and it would be cool,
> if we could stay compatible with Linux' API's.

It's the same chip on Hauppauges cards: Hauppauge PVR has Kfir chip on it.
what I'd REALLY like to see is the driver for Hauppauge PVR...
PVR's recommended retail price is 250$, around 280$ in Scandinavia at the
moment.

Actually we had a conversation about this kfir chip/hardware enc a little
while ago,
that's when I asked Hauppauge about it and here is the answer:

-- From Bill Voccia --
>The PVR does use the BT878 chipset as well.
>It uses a separate MPEG encoder chipset, however- the Kafir chip made by
>Visiontech.
>
>Regards,
>Bill Voccia
>Hauppauge Computer Works
>Technical Support Department, U.S.A.

And no, I'm not just talking here... If (when) I get my hands on one of
those cards, I will (at least try to) write the driver.. :)
But I'd bet I won't get one of those before someone else has already written
the driver.

-jukkis
-www.jukkis.net