Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 23:26:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Aiming instlall rouitine at source directory on dos

On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Harry Putnam wrote:

>Being familiar with Linux mainly, I don't recoganize the naming
>conventions:
>
> I have 2 HDD .  One, all win95 with 3 partions C D E,
>Number two is all most all linux with /dev/hdb/ 1-8  /dev/hdb3/ now
>set to `a5' file system and labeled BSD/386.  (done confusedly with
>the install fdisk editor)
>
>After using the handy `setup.exe' to make a boot floppy.  Then having
>repeated problems with preping the source files.  (corrrupted, wrong
>size etc) I may now have clean files (only installing the `bin'(basic)
>directory)  But when the install gets to the point where you select a
>dos address...
>
>Theres the rub. I'm being shown three possibilities.  Two columns, one
>colored yellow the other black, same entry in both columns.
>wd0s1    wd0s1
>wd0s2    wd0s2
>wd1s1    wd1s1
> I 've tried all three at one time or another.  None have worked.  How
>can one translate between Dos C, D, E and the system used by FreeBSD
>or does it even see Dos partitions at all?
>
>Do the above represent C D E or is wd1 a different disk?

Simple things first, wd1 is a different physical disk than wd0. Wd0 is the
master drive and wd1 is the slave.

C,D,E et al are utterly meaningless to FreeBSD. C,D, and E only have
meaning in windows land. One thing I do not get from your description
though. You said you have three DOS partitions on the first drive? It
doesn't look like you do or I would see wd0s1, wd0s2, and wd0s3.

Did you mean to say that you have two partitions (C, D) on the first drive
plus one partition on the E drive?

wd0 is the first IDE drive. <== Your windows stuff.
wd1 is the second IDE drive. <== Your Linux stuff.

The FreeBSD naming breaks down like this.

wd-X-sX-(abc...)

wd  	<== The type of drive. In this case IDE. (sd for scsi)
wd0 	<== The number of drive. The first IDE drive.
wd0s1 	<== The DOS "(s)lice" number. The first DOS partition on the first
	IDE drive.
wd0s1a  <== The FreeBSD partition designator. This is the "a" (commonly
	holds the / file system) partition on the first DOS slice on the
	first IDE drive.

Example:
wd1s2c 	<== The "c" FreeBSD partition on the second DOS slice on the
	second IDE drive.

Assuming that you want to wipe out windows :P and keep Linux and FreeBSD
you will be installing FreeBSD into wd0s1 or wd0s2.

>I'd like to flesh out this install by finishing up with an FTP update
>later on.  But, attempting an ftp install to begin with.  I wasn't
>able to get a connection started.  Once the information (IP address
>Domain name etc) was supplied.  I was shown a screen that told me
>adamantly not to press `enter'until I'd made a connection, and
>directed me to Alt-F3 to do so.  Going to Alt F3 I found no way to
>continue. ... IE give a phone number username, password etc.  The only
>command suggested to use is `term' which got me a `ready' prompt.  But
>seemingly no way to do anything.  Return to the previous screen or
>pressing F1 have not shown a way to connect.

>What are the steps to making a connection?  Where do you put a phone
>number etc?  What is the application that does the connection?  I
>recognized nothing similar to minicom, telnet, or other ppp type
>connecting devices.
>Seems a different world altogether.

This is PPP land. I am no modem guru. What you will do is enter "term" and
then enter commands like "atdt foo-isp#" and login. Please consult and
authoritative source here.

Please note that there are no form fields to fill out here, i.e. no place
to put a number. The application that will connect you is "term" which is
your PPP connecting device.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/