Date:      Sat, 26 Mar 2011 13:18:49 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Marcin Wisnicki <mwisnicki+freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [ECFT] pkgng 0.1-alpha1: a replacement for pkg_install

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 10:22:50 +0000, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

> This can still be discussed but I don't really like the idea that users
> may alter packages an installation/extraction time, that would lead to
> lots of potential buggy installation and report.

That's why list of alterations have to be recorded and relevant tools
would mark such packages appropriately. Using filters would be considered
unsupported (unless maintainer of particular port/package says otherwise).
It's no different than doing unsupported things right now, just giving
user more tools.
Besides, examples mentioned by me like removing docs and unused
translations are rather safe and save significant amount of disk space.

> If user aren't happy
> with the packaging, they can poke the maintainer, send PR, patch etc.

That's not possible unless user is willing to build packages himself.
Actually I would rather not have build time options for things that can
just as well be performed during installation.
Hacking makefiles to implement NOPORTDOCS is quite more complicated than
setting a glob pattern.

There is also one very important use case I didn't mention before.
Such filters could serve as a hooking point for configuration management
system. It makes it possible to capture config files as they are installed
and perform backups, merges, check-in to vcs etc.